Re: Docstring line length

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Docstring line length
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:30:55 -0800

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm sure most people do not do as I do, but I'm not sure that most people
> use fixed 80-char frames. Do we have any user data to go on?

Some people say that character-width standards are pretty much
obsolete these days. I disagree. Someone will always be able to have a
bigger screen than another so what might look good on one person's
screen will not look good on everyone else's.

So a standard width is a good idea so that code and text looks good on
*everyone's* screen.

Since TTYs have been 80 characters for decades, it is the best
standard. Indeed, the only standard.

If you can find data that says that 100% of the people use a larger
width, then perhaps we can consider upping the width to the lowest
common denominator.

But you won't since I use 80 columns ;-).

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD