Re: Docstring line length

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Docstring line length
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 18:10:34 -0500

    > I'm sure most people do not do as I do, but I'm not sure that most people
    > use fixed 80-char frames. Do we have any user data to go on?

    Some people say that character-width standards are pretty much
    obsolete these days. I disagree.

I am with you on this--and my mind is firmly made up.
We will continue with the 80-column default, and continue
designing Emacs displays to work with it.

I'm not against making some displays adapt to other widths,
when someone wants to implement that, assuming the code is clean.
But let's not further consider any larger change.