Re: Legal papers for Emacs contributions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Legal papers for Emacs contributions
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:12:40 +0100

Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> writes:

>     Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>
>     I somehow thought we had legal papers from you, but I see that we
>     actually don't.  So we had better not install any more of your changes
>     until that is taken care of.  (I'll send you another message saying
>     how to do that.)
>
> I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ, but I didn't have the time to
> check all the details until now.
>
> Are legal papers required for installing the FreeBSD/amd64 patch I
> came up with a while ago too?

Legal stuff pretty much is required for everything with few
exceptions.  While it is possible that in this case an exception might
apply, the next occasion where it won't is not far away if you intend
to contribute to Emacs.  So better start getting the legal hassle over
with as soon as possible if your work situation does not prohibit it.
It is a nuisance, but not to be avoided.