Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:19:28 -0500

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

>    "Reset" sounds like a counterpart to "set", and thus
>    changing only the current values, not the saved values.
>    I think "Erase Customizations" is clearer, because it says that
>    the commnd gets rid of your existing customizations.
>
> I also think that `Erase Customization' is a bit confusing, but `Reset
> Customization' is equally confusing I think. How about `Revert
> Customization' which says that the existing values get removed, and
> reverted to whatever was the setting when they weren't set?

Why not "Revert to Defaults"?  That seems to be the canonical phrase.

My personal opinion is that the "Set for Current Session" and "Reset
to Current" buttons are superfluous.  Most other programs don't
provide a separate "set but don't save" command, and it's
unneccessary.  It took me a while to realize what all those Customize
buttons were supposed to do, and it would probably be worse for
newbies.

If we eliminate "Set for Current Session" and "Reset to Current", the
interface would be much cleaner:

 [Cancel Changes] [Save Changes]
 [Reset to Defaults]    [Finish]