Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:15:28 +0100

On 23 Dec 2005, at 21:43, Juri Linkov wrote:

1. What is the purpose of adding the condition `enable-recursive- minibuffers'
to `:enable' of "Visit New File..." and "Open File..."?  If to allow
calling `find-file' in the minibuffer then this doesn't work anyway.
It gives an error after selecting "Open File..." and selecting a file name
while point in the minibuffer:

  find-file: Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer window

Yes, you're right.
But I would suggest improving find-file to catch the error in switch- to-buffer and show the buffer in another window in that case, at least when called interactively. (This made sense in my own setup because I have advised switch-to- buffer to show most buffers in a new frame, so I don't usually get that error.)

2. Why keymap variables are replaced with their values at the moment
of adding a menu item?  I.e. what changes like the following achieve?

 (define-key menu-bar-edit-menu [bookmark]
-  '(menu-item "Bookmarks" menu-bar-bookmark-map
+  `(menu-item "Bookmarks" ,menu-bar-bookmark-map
              :help "Record positions and jump between them"))

Thanks for pointing this out, maybe that's a bug in the patch. Let's leave this particular change out.