Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:02:52 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   I don't know where "we" decided that, but I wrote that part at
   Richard's request.

The "we" refers to a discussion several months ago on Emacs devel.  I
believe to remember that Richard then decided that themes should not
override a non-Custom set value.  I could try to find this back in the
archives to be sure that I do not misremember, but if Richard changed
his mind anyway, this is irrelevant.  It is logical to not override a
non-Custom set value, because the user theme is never overridden.

A non-Custom set value is either set by the user, through an explicit
setq or by, say, enabling or disabling a minor mode, or by code that
_needs_ that particular value.  In neither case should a theme
override that.  Doing so would cause trouble.

Sincerely,

Luc.