Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:18:51 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

         Obviously whenever Custom checks the value of
       standard-value, a bug is likely to result.

   Yes, it seems like we need to check all of those places
   and make sure they take account of themes.

Also everybody writing future code for Custom should realize that when
they want to access the standard value, they should not just look at
the 'standard-value property but that they should use the non-user
theme value instead if there is one.  We should clearly document this
in cus-edit.el, if we want to continue to store the theme value in the
saved-value property.  If we stored it in the standard-value property,
that would not be necessary.

That is exactly what I find so unclean about the current Themes code.
People writing some general Custom code need to be continuously aware
of it.  If the Themes code were cleanly written, that would not be
necessary.  Conversely, fixing bugs in the Themes code can easily
produce bugs for people who never even use Themes.  If the Themes code
were cleanly written, that would not happen either.

Sincerely,

Luc.