Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Starnge comment in Custom Theme code.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:52:07 -0500

    What does the code that follows the comment do?  Nobody will ever find
    bugs in the Themes code by using it, because nobody is using it.

It is not released yet, so of course not many people are using it.

                                                                      So
    the only way to find bugs is to read the source code and see what it
    does.  Did anybody ever do that?

I would like more people to do it.

                                      I tried and concluded that it was
    just an incoherent bunch of nonsense, that was not worth trying to fix.

We're going to fix it, and your reports are helping us do it.
But could you please leave out the abuse, and just tell us the
facts that will help us fix the bugs?

      I believe that we decided that a theme should never override a
    value defined with setq or otherwise set outside Custom.

We recently reaffirmed that themes should never override Custom
settings, but I don't remember discussing the question wrt non-Custom
settings.  Could you tell me when that discussion was, so I can find
the old mail?

I looked at various places in custom.el, and they seem to be
consistent about treating non-Custom user settings as background
for custom themes.