Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:06:52 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:19:31 -0500
>
> The general reason to disable commands that use the minibuffer while
> in the minibuffer is because recursive minibuffers got many users
> confused.  If you're an advanced user who won't get confused by
> recursive minibuffers, you can set enable-recursive-minibuffers
> to t, and enable them all the time.

It goes without saying that I didn't mean to have those features
_unless_ enable-recursive-minibuffers is non-nil.

The problem is, even with enable-recursive-minibuffers, you cannot,
e.g., visit a file from within the minibuffer.  You get the error
message described by Juri.  You can try it like this:

     emacs -q
     M-x C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

At this point Emacs signals an error: "Cannot switch buffers in
minibuffer window".