Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Customizing faces with `defcustom'
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:57:07 +0200

>> However, there is another similar face that is used to highlight text in
>> the mode line: `Buffer-menu-buffer'.  We could create a new group
>> `modeline-faces' and add all modeline-related faces to this new group.
>> The faces that could be added to `modeline-faces' are:
>>
>> Buffer-menu-buffer
>> display-time-mail-face
>> mode-line-highlight
>> mode-line-inactive
>> mode-line
>
> The question is whether the corresponding faces should be simultaneously
> removed from the `basic-faces' group.  If they are removed where should
> `header-line' - which inherits from `mode-line' - go to?

In this case I think the corresponding faces should not be removed from
the `basic-faces' group.  Only their group `modeline' could be replaced
with `modeline-faces'.

>> Or alternatively, add `Buffer-menu-buffer' and `display-time-mail-face' to
>> the existing group `modeline' (where three latter faces from the list above
>> already belong to), and add the parent group `faces' to the group `modeline'.
>
> `Buffer-menu-buffer' should definitely figure in the modeline group.
> When I first tried to customize the modeline, `Buffer-menu-buffer' was
> hard to spot and very undescriptive.  Since `display-time' is already
> part of the modeline group I'd simply remove `display-time-mail-face'

I agree.  Unless a new special face group `modeline-faces' will be created,
`display-time-mail-face' should be removed from the group `modeline'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/