Re: address@hidden: M-x goto-address isn't binding mouse-2 and C-c RET]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: M-x goto-address isn't binding mouse-2 and C-c RET]
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:57:45 +0200

> [I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]
>
> Would someone please work on this and ack?

This is purely a documentation problem.

> 1. Functionality: M-x goto-address isn't binding mouse-2 and C-c RET per its
>    docstring and *info* page

The node (info "(emacs)Goto-address") says:

     You can make URLs in the current buffer active with `M-x
  goto-address'.  This finds all the URLs in the buffer, and establishes
  bindings for `Mouse-2' and `C-c <RET>' on them.

It seems it is pretty clear that that bindings `Mouse-2' and `C-c
<RET>' are established only on URLs (technically, on overlays),
not on the whole buffer.

> 2. Docstrings: mouse-2 and C-c are really being bound to
>    goto-address-at-point (and goto-address-at-mouse, which is
>    an alias for goto-address-at-point), and *not* goto-address.
>
>    One possible fix is to update the the goto-address docstring mention from
>    "By default, goto-address binds to mouse-2 and C-c RET."
>    to something along the lines of
>    "By default, goto-address binds goto-address-at-point to mouse-2 and C-c
> RET."

I think this is a good clarification of the docstring.  Perhaps it should
be extended to say that it binds these keys only on URLs and e-mail addresses:

  By default, goto-address binds `goto-address-at-point' to mouse-2 and C-c RET
  only on URLs and e-mail addresses.

> Example:
>
> % emacs -q &
> C-x C-f <some-path>/emacs/lisp/vc-svn.el
> M-x goto-address
> C-h w goto-address
> goto-address is not on any key

This is correct.

> C-h w goto-address-at-point
> goto-address-at-point is not on any key

`C-h w goto-address-at-point' called when point on an overlay with an URL
displays:

  goto-address-at-point is on <mouse-2>, C-c RET

So this is correct too.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/