Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:37:12 -0500

>> That's another issue altogether, let's not add to confusion.

> No it's not.  If someone proposes to override system differentiation
> of the two Alt keys and treat them the same, while I propose to fully
> honor the system differentiation of the Alt keys (if they are considered
> different by the system to begin with), that's not another issue.  Those
> are two opposing views on the same issue.

Actually you are not proposing to "fully honor the system differentiation of
the Alt keys".  You are only proposing to make LEIM understand the
Mode_switch key.  Emacs already obeys your system's setup where what you
think of as a "right alt key" is actually not an alt key but a Mode_switch.
As a matter of fact, it'd be hard for Emacs not to obey this differentiation
because as far as Emacs is concerned this is *not* an alt key in any sense
of the word (otherwise it would send an Alt_L or Alt_R event and it'd be
bound to some modifier bit rather than sending a Mode_switch event).

So as Eli said, please let's not add to confusion.

        Stefan