Re: add-hook versus custom-set-variables

From: Tomas Zerolo
Subject: Re: add-hook versus custom-set-variables
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 06:37:29 +0100

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 02:12:40PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
[...]
> > Thanks for the explanation. There's a lot of strange things in
> > elisp--mostly around compilation and evaluation--that I don't understand
> > and every little bit helps.  Maybe another reading of these sections in
> > the elisp manual will make more sense now.
>
> Actually this difference between macros and functions applies to 99% of
> all languages.

Yes, but for a big proportion of those 99% your theorem applies trivially
(there are no macros), and for the rest... in most of thenm macros look
so utterly different from the rest of the language that this is a
non-issue.

The Lisp way of macros is a very special beast indeed.

Regards
-- tomas