Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Right Alt/Meta keys on Windows systems
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:54:25 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Using the menus is otherwise a pain. But
> instead I sacrifice the use of the left and right Windows keys. For me
> this is far better since I use the menus much more often when the
> Windows keys. (In fact I never use the left and right windows keys -
> except in Emacs. I use Ctrl-Esc instead.)

This is off-topic, I know:

I think you miss out quite many nice keyboard shortcuts in Windows if
you "disabled" those keys. Just some example: W-r, W-e, W-d, W-m,
W-Pause/Break etc. Also, it is great to have it as an extra modifier
key in Windows in general if you have a program that can bind
commands/programs to it.

I am sure you know about F10 doing the same as a single left Alt key
press, and I know it is not exactly as convenient as you cannot press
it at the same time as another key, for example Alt-f, for activating
the File menu. Maybe you should try out Drew's menu navigator thingy
(which uses icicles, which in turn I am not comfortable with, but...).

Anyway, we could discuss this off-list instead. Things like keyboard
shortcuts and other productivity enhancements and time savers is of
great interest to me.