Re: Mode_switch and LEIM

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Mode_switch and LEIM
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:59:33 +0200

>> The only thing I wonder about is why do you enable a LEIM input method
>> while you are using a XIM input method at the same time?
>
> Because non-Emacs apps don't have LEIM and LEIM in Emacs is more convenient
> that system-wide `xkb', because with `xkb' there was no way to type `M-d'
> in Russian layout, it would work as `M-в' instead.  OK, I see now there is
> (just checked), but still there is no way to use things like `C-x t' when
> using `xkb' Russian layout (`C-x е' instead.)

OK, now I understand that you prefer LEIM due to its advantages (separate
input methods for each buffer) as well as to the disadvantages of handling
XIM in Emacs (can't type command key sequences).

Now I have the opposite question: why do you enable a XIM input method
while you are using a LEIM input method at the same time.  Is it because
you enable a global XIM input method for all applications?  Is it possible
to enable XIM input methods separately in each application including Emacs
instead of enabling a global XIM input method?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/