Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:10:30 -0500

I am answering old mail that got forgotten during the year.

    Following Lennart's idea, I added a flag to the buffer struct
    (leaveBufferAlone) which persists the state of whether the user chose to
ignore
    that the buffer file was changed on disk or not. When working with an IDE,
the
    popup provides a symmetric editing experience in that emacs and the IDE
notify
    the user whenever the file is changed on disk and give him/her the chance to
    ignore or revert.

This could be a useful feature, but the implementation has two flaws:

1. It is done at the C level.

2. It only works on Windows.

Our goal is to replace proprietary operating systems, not to enhance
them; therefore, we don't want to have any Emacs features that only
work on Windows.

If you or someone implements such a feature that works on the GNU
system and is mostly implemented in Lisp, then we could install it
(after the coming release).