Re: url-cache - (require 'url)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: url-cache - (require 'url)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:47:11 +0000

On 2 Jan 2006, at 05:08, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I think url-cache.el needs a (require 'url) to define url-
configuration-directory which is (now) needed to define url-cache-
directory. Otherwise, a simple (require 'url-cache) fails unless url isn't
loaded beforehand.

When I removed the autoload on url-configuration-directory I ended up
convincing myself that url-cache.el was never loaded before url.el.
You're probably right that a `require' is in order, but I'd be interested
to know if you've bumped into a real-life case where it's needed.

Start up with -Q, then do

(url-http (url-generic-parse-url  "http://google.com";) nil  nil )

This should autoload some things, but doesn't load url [early enough], leading to the above problem.

In my actual case, I had the following sequence of `require's before a call to `url-http', provoking the problem in a different manner:

      (require 'url-parse)
      (require 'url-methods)
      (require 'url-cache)

I inserted these in order to avoid showing "loading" messages in the echo area, because I find they are not needed in the standard case and lead to information overload.

- D