Re: url-cache - (require 'url)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: url-cache - (require 'url)
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:15:47 +0000

On 3 Jan 2006, at 15:54, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Could you make a proper bug report? I have no idea what you've done to get
the above messages, so it's kind of hard to debug it.

I wouldn't consider it a bug -- but the messages in the echo area and in *Messages* make url-retrieve less useful in a programmatic usage context, where I don't want to annoy the user with unnecessary warnings.
Again, the warnings that appear are

/Users/dr/.emacs.d/url/history does not exist.
Could not load cookie file /Users/dr/.emacs.d/url/cookies

I have no ~/.emacs.d/url directory. The warnings appear only upon first invocation of the below code.

I can reproduce with a plain current Emacs (2006-01-02) and the following code:

(defun test-done ()
  (switch-to-buffer retr-buffer))

(require 'url)
(let ((url "http://www.gnu.org/";)
      (url-automatic-caching nil)
      (url-standalone-mode nil)
      (url-show-status nil)
      (url-history-track nil)
      (url-confirmation-func (lambda (x) t)))
; HTTP-GET

(setq retr-buffer
      (url-retrieve url
                    'test-done  nil)))

PS.: If url-retrieve is the highest entry point, shouldn't it be autoload?