Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 11:25:55 -0500

       How about "Show Current Settings" or "Show Current Values"?

    It is longer than the current text and, to me, not clearer at all.
    Actually, it would be confusing, certainly for the whole buffer
    button.  It makes it appear that you have to press this button to see
    the current values

No, the words don't mean that, and I see no reason to think people
are particularly likely to misunderstand them in that way.

    and makes you wonder what the shown values are
    (defaults, saved values?).

That is good!  The values shown in the buffer are NOT
in general the current values.

      For the State button message, the plural
    is wrong.

That is not a big deal.  Anyway, we could use the singular for those
buttons.

       What about "Cancel Customization", "Cancel Saved Settings",
       "Erase Saved Settings", etc?

    The last two would be misleading: it is not just going to cancel and
    erase saved values, but edited, set and rogue values as well.

That is not a problem.  It is fine if the name of an operation
describes only the most important thing it does.  The name need not
describe all the lesser things the operation also does.

       And "Reset to Saved" could be "Show Saved Settings" or
       "Show Saved Values"?

    "Reset to Saved" does exactly what it says: it resets to the saved
    value.  It does not just show the saved value.

I had forgotten.  If this button actually sets the value,
then "reset" is a good name for it.