Re: Reset buttons in Customize (Was: Bug, probably related to Custom The

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Reset buttons in Customize (Was: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:31:09 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   But this is an easy mistake to make, because it's not clear that
   "Reset to Saved" would have this effect -- unless you try it out.

Why does it surprise you that a button that says "Reset to Saved"
actually resets to saved?

   I suggest changing custom-reset-current and
   custom-reset-saved to *really* become "Show Current Value" and "Show
   Saved Value" (and custom-reset-2standard to "Show Standard Value").
   That is, the buttons only change the values shown in the widgets,
   without setting them.  The user explicitly calls "Set for Current
   Session" or "Save for Future Sessions" to do what he wants, which
   reduces the risk of confusion.

That would mean two new whole buffer buttons and two new items in the
State menu.

   However, an even better simplification is what I previously suggested:
   do away with the concept of "set for current session", and make
   Customize save automatically.

I believe that many Custom users often use these buttons.  I certainly
do.

I believe that the changes you suggest are a bad idea.  It is
_certainly_ a very bad idea to suggest these radical changes to
Custom supposedly "shortly" before a release.

Sincerely,

Luc.