Re: GtkPlug patch

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GtkPlug patch
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:09:25 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

But even if it is very simple in the Gtk+ case, and only a bit more complicated in the general case, there are other issues here. Like for
    instance, what should an embedded Emacs do when someone tries to
    move or resize the window from lisp?

These operations could do nothing in a reparented window.

      Therefore I think this should wait
    to the next release.

Ok.

Question: would this stuff make any difference unless Emacs was called
in a special way?  Is there some protocol advertising the possibility
for embedding that might be used by window managers or other
applications to check for embeddability?

No, Emacs has to be called with the --parent-id flag. The specification is very unclear on how the two applications finds each other. Basically they say that that is out of the scope for the XEMBED specification.

If all of this is not the case, then the respective code paths would
basically just get exercised when one explicitly does something that
one could not do before.  If there are just a few such code spaces,
the impact on the general release quality would be negligible.

Yes, that is true. But I suspect that if we put this in now we will get bug reports about things like keyboard focus, which doesn't work correctly with this patch (due to the fact that Emacs isn't a "pure" GTK implementation).

But if the author is willing to handle those bug reports, we can put this patch in now. It is a very small change, and very safe in that it does not alter the normal code path unless you use --parent-id.

How hard will it be to integrate those patches (or the respective
functionality) after the release?  Would it make sense to integrate
them already in the multi-tty branch, or should we rather store them
somewhere separately after the release?  Separate branch?

The suggested patches are very easy to integrate in just about any branch, they just add/modify one or two lines here and there. No big changes.

        Jan D.