Re: cvs-update

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: cvs-update
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:08:53 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Because "make updates" also does "make update-subdirs", which is
>> almost always unnecessary, and includes the mh-autoloads target, which
>> is already part of "make recompile".
>
> mh-autoloads should simply not be in update-subdirs.
> It seems it's been added a bit everywhere rather than carefully choosing the
> one place where it should go.

Actually, I carefully chose each of those places ;-).

I started out by putting it everywhere where "autoloads" appeared
since it's an identical construct. If mh-autoloads doesn't belong in
those places, neither does autoloads. If I remember correctly, I had
to add it to compile and recompile too since it wasn't getting run
during bootstrap or during recompiles after cvs updates.

Note that unlike autoloads target, the mh-autoloads target won't
actually do anything if none of the files in the mh-e directory have
changed. And it runs a whole lot faster.

I'm definitely open to feedback or suggestions.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD