Re: coding tags and utf-16

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: coding tags and utf-16
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:24:47 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Should we install this option now?
>
> I can't tell whether or not it's important enough to install
> now because I never encountered a utf-16 file.

I think the most common occurence would be system files on MS Windows.
The byte markers are very unique: I think we should heed them unless
there are very important technical considerations speaking against it
(one reason would be if the utf-16 encodings were not
content-preserving for saving binary files.  No idea whether this is
the case).