Re: rogue option init-file-user

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rogue option init-file-user
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:12:33 +0200

> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:01:54 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Beside the above problem the value on w32 seems strange. I get the value
> "" with CVS Emacs from 2006-01-06 after .emacs have been read.

This isn't strange, this is exactly what should happen.  The doc
string of init-file-user says, among other things:

    Otherwise, the value may be the null string, meaning use the init file
    for the user that originally logged in, or it may be a
    string containing a user's name meaning use that person's init file.

    In either of the latter cases, `(concat "~" init-file-user "/")'
    evaluates to the name of the directory where the `.emacs' file was
    looked for.

With the possible exception of the term ``null string'' (which really
means an empty string), this describes what you see: since the .emacs
file used was from the user ``that originally logged in'', you get the
value of "", and (concat "~" init-file-user "/") will yield "~/", your
home directory.

I fixed the doc string to say "empty string", for more clarity.