Re: rogue option init-file-user

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: rogue option init-file-user
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 01:29:47 +0200

On 2006-01-07 13:57, "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>     It seems to me that to change this variable in a way that actually
>     works, the user should use a command line option such as -q or -u.
>     Setting or saving it through Custom appears to make little sense.
>
> What do others think?

I agree it makes little sense.  In several systems I use 'task based'
accounts, i.e.:

    address@hidden:/home/keramida$ ls -l /home
    total 18
    drwxrwxr-x   6 build     build     -  512 Jan  3 07:51 build
    drwxrwxr-x   7 root      cvs       -  512 Oct 23 05:34 cvs
    drwxr-xr-x  46 keramida  keramida  - 2560 Jan  8 01:19 keramida
    drwx------   8 root      wheel     - 2048 Nov  3 03:35 lost+found
    drwxr-xr-x  15 ncvs      ncvs      - 1024 Jan  6 22:04 ncvs
    drwxrwxr-x   2 root      svn       -  512 Oct 23 05:09 svn
    address@hidden:/home/keramida$

Even in setups like this one, where I may find myself typing:

    keramida$ sudo -i -u ncvs
    ncvs$ emacs -u keramida

to share a common startup file, it makes little sense to customize the
init-file-user.  Let's say that I'm logged in as `ncvs' and I customize
`init-file-user' to "keramida".  Where will it be saved?  Saving it in
~keramida/.emacs may not be possible, because I don't have write
permissions when I'm logged in as `ncvs'.  Saving it to ~ncvs/.emacs
will probably fail to load the next time I start Emacs with -u keramida.

I don't see how making this customizable can work, so Luc is right IMHO.