Re: Executing Emacs Lisp through AppleScript on Mac OS X?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Executing Emacs Lisp through AppleScript on Mac OS X?
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:46:04 +0000

On 18 Dec 2005, at 03:54, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

(defun mac-ae-do-lisp (event)
  (interactive "e")
  (eval (car (read-from-string (mac-ae-text (mac-event-ae event))))))

Something like that is definitely an interesting functionality, but I wouldn't want to see it outside of a local installation, i.e. in Emacs, simply for security reasons. With such an event, any application can practically attain all rights that the Emacs process has and execute pretty much anything.

Some support for common functions would be nice, though.
For example, I stumbled over "Open Document"'s inability to find new files, i.e. only existing files can be opened.

Because the system's "open" command cannot pass arbitrary parameters either, I don't see a way to get (a running) Emacs to find a file (as opposed to opening an existing one) from external.