Re: Optional third argument - name not mentioned in docstring

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Optional third argument - name not mentioned in docstring
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:53:07 +0000 (UTC)

   In the doc strings for `search-forward' and `search-backward' the
   argument names "bound" etc are not mentioned. Instead the doc strings
   just says:

       Optional third argument, if t, ...

   Should not the names be mentioned?

No,   I just read the doc string from describe-function and it says

    An optional second argument bounds the search; it is a buffer position.

which is entirely clear.  Indeed, I find the rest of the documentation
clear, too:

    Optional third argument, if t, means if fail just return nil (no error).
      If not nil and not t, move to limit of search and return nil.
    Optional fourth argument is repeat count--search for successive occurrences.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8