Re: outline/allout/overlay performance

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: outline/allout/overlay performance
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:59:28 -0500

it looks like i was raising a false alarm - the overlays were not the
problem, and in fact there was no fragmentation of them.  i made a
quick consolidating function, only to discover (1) there was no
improvement, and (2) actually assessing the extent of the overlays
without the consolidation showed that they were not fragmenting.  this
lead me to suspect my environment, and i discovered that a
long-line-highlighting custom package i was using (vvb-mode) was the
problem - disabling it totally eliminated any delays.  in fact,

the side effect of this little adventure is that i'm pretty far along
with the conversion to invisibility-overlays, i think the hard things
are done (several niggly boundary conditions, isearch fanciness), but
will need to shake out the odds and ends, and then work out the common
functionality with outline-mode, as stefan and i were discussing.

sorry about the false alarm!

ken manheimer
address@hidden