Re: current-column and display (space :align-to) properties

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: current-column and display (space :align-to) properties
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:10:59 -0500

    I think a basic solution to this (report integer column number with no
    accounting for font widths) is needed now (before the release) since many
of
    the display properties are new and cause inconsistent behavior in some
basic
    functions.

I think that failing to handle :align-to is less clearly a bug than
failing to handle a before-string.  But it is a matter of judgment.
Both are clearly flaws.

I think they are more or less part of a bigger flaw which is really
the lack of a feature.  So we want to fix this, but not necessarily
now.

    I've looked at the code, and understand where the changes are
    needed, but am not very comfortable with Emacs internals.  I'll
    take a look and see if I can puzzle my way thru but my time for it
    is limited.

Would someone who knows this code better like to help Michael?