Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.texi?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:27:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:16:59 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden

>> OK, here are the problems I have with @node Killing in the Emacs manual:

>>        Every keyboard has a large key, labeled <DEL>, <BACKSPACE>, <BS> or
>>     <DELETE>, which is a short distance above the <RET> or <ENTER> key and
>>     is normally used for erasing what you have typed.  Regardless of the
>>     actual name on the key, in Emacs it is equivalent to <DEL>--or it
>>     should be.

>> The above paragraph appears to be an old, unreworked version of the next
>> paragraph.

>>        Many keyboards (including standard PC keyboards) have a <BACKSPACE>
>>     key a short ways above <RET> or <ENTER>, and a <DELETE> key elsewhere.
>>     In that case, the <BACKSPACE> key is <DEL>, and the <DELETE> key is
>>     equivalent to `C-d'--or it should be.

>I actually like the first (older) version better.  I think "a short
>distance" will be better understood, in particular by non-native
>English speakers, than "a short ways".  And there's no confusing
>"<BACKSPACE> key is <DEL>" wording.

>> What is the meaning of "equivalent" in "the <DELETE> key is
>> equivalent to `C-d'"?

>What it always meant--that it produces the same effect.

But there is vagueness there, though - the two keys cease to be
"equivalent" when the M- modifier is added.

>> Incidentally, is "a short WAYS above" intentionally so (some dialect of
>> English I don't know), or should it read "a short WAY above"?

>No, it's "short ways", which means nearby.  Like I said: it's not
>immediately understandable.

Agreed.  :-)

>>                                     The @key{DELETE} key, like
>> ! @kbd{C-d}, deletes the following character---or it should do.

>I don't think ``it should do'' is correct English here.  I think the
>correct wording is ``---or it should.''

"or it should do" is perfectly correct English - "do" is a sort of
"pro-verb" referring to the last used verb, much like the pronoun "it"
refers to the last used noun.  (English is my native language).  But "or
it should" is just as correct, and it's shorter (therefore better ;-).

--
Alan.