Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:45:59 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   - Don't show the "Hide value" button for trivial values which
     fit on one line initially.  I don't see ANY reason why a
     user would click on that button to, say, hide a boolean
     or numeric value.

To hide them from the whole buffer buttons, from key bindings that
operate on the whole buffer and from menu bar items that operate on
the whole buffer.  (These operations ignore hidden options and faces.)
There are no "Hide Value" buttons in single option or face buffers,
where they would _really_ be useless.

Granted, there is very strong evidence that nobody uses the whole
buffer buttons or functions _in multi-option buffers_ anyway.  The
majority of them were complete no-ops in group buffers until
relatively recently and nobody complained about that until relatively
recently.  So nobody _could_ have used them, unless they used private
bug fixes.  But they are no longer no-ops now and _as long as we
provide whole buffer functionality_ we need to provide people with a
way to "hide" options from the whole buffer operations.

Sincerely,

Luc.