Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.texi?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:04:11 +0200

> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:27:42 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
>
> >> What is the meaning of "equivalent" in "the <DELETE> key is
> >> equivalent to `C-d'"?
>
> >What it always meant--that it produces the same effect.
>
> But there is vagueness there, though - the two keys cease to be
> "equivalent" when the M- modifier is added.

The text says "in Emacs it is equivalent to <DEL>".  And as you know,
in Emacs M-<DEL> and <DEL> are two different keys.

In other words, when we speak about ``keys'' in Emacs, we don't mean
the scancodes generated by pressing the key.  We mean the character or
symbol that Emacs sees in its keyboard input queue.