RE: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: What're the proper names for the backspace and delete keys in files.texi?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:31:29 -0800

    > I don't agree!  "a short ways" may be considered proper in the US, but
    > in the UK it is definitely still US-style slang, and it may not be
    > understood in other English-speaking places.

    The Emacs manuals are written in the US English dialect.  That's why
    we say "recognize", "color", etc.

Whech Amurcun dialec' didja mean, Eelah?

Ah'd say thet "a ways" be 'bout the same thing as "a fur piece": "He walked
a fur piece down th' road" = "He walked a ways down th' road."

Thats'd ah'd say 'bout et. The American Heritage Dictionary, however, says
this 'bout it (http://www.bartleby.com/61/57/W0065700.html):

 ways - NOUN: Informal (used with a sing. verb) Variant of way
              (sense 1). See Usage Note at way.

 way - USAGE NOTE: Way has long been an intensifying adverb meaning
       “to a great degree,” as in way over budget. This usage is both
       acceptable and common but has an informal ring. •Way is also
       used as a general intensifier, as in way cool and way
       depressing. This locution has expanded beyond its original
       range of younger speakers, but it is still regarded as slang.
       •In American English ways is often used as an equivalent of
       way in phrases such as a long ways to go. The usage is
       acceptable but is usually considered informal.