Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:07:30 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       - Don't show the "Hide value" button for trivial values which
         fit on one line initially.  I don't see ANY reason why a
         user would click on that button to, say, hide a boolean
         or numeric value.

   That seems ok to me, provided the problem Luc is concerned about
   is not a real problem.

There also is another problem: Kim's change would not allow you to
hide anything that is not an atom.  That may include large strings or
vectors.

For instance, you would no longer be able to hide the value of
initial-scratch-message.  That value hinders navigation in the buffer.

For instance, if you do `emacs -q', then `M-x customize-group initialization',
and then position point say between Initial and Message in
"Initial Scratch Message", then do `C-n', you will see that point gets stuck.

Sincerely,

Luc.