RE: Visual cleanup for customize buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Visual cleanup for customize buffers
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:17:40 -0800

    I like the way this is done in Dired. There, we have one mechanism for
    marking files to act upon and another mechanism (kill lines) for hiding
    ("omitting") files - we don't simply expect people to hide all the files
    that are not to be acted upon.

I should point out that even though I used "omitting" here in parentheses I
was thinking of `dired-kill-line', rather than the `omit' functionality of
dired-x. The latter is a bit different, in some regards, from what I
described. For example, marked files are never omitted, but they can be
hidden by "dired-killing" them.

The analogy for `omit' in Customize would be that stuff marked for possible
action could never be hidden. I think I prefer the behavior of
`dired-kill-line' in this regard, but both behaviors are probably worth
discussing in the context of Customize.