Re: Inconsistency in whole buffer buttons.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in whole buffer buttons.
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:42:03 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   Personally, I'd use a different criterion: ask for confirmation if the
   operation would change more than a single option, regardless of how
   many options there are in the buffer.

   And warn if the operation does not change any option (like when
   prospective options are hidden).

   I don't know how feasible this is, but I think that would more or less
   be what I consider as natural.

It would be more complex and it is not worth it.  The present
criterion for asking for confirmation is reasonable and easily
understood.  There is evidence that nobody really intentionally uses
these buttons in multi-option buffers.  So spending a lot of time
trying to figure out what the absolutely most perfect criterion would
be and then implementing it, even if it is a lot more complex, makes
no sense.  On the other hand, there is evidence that people do use
these buttons in single-option buffers, where asking for confirmation
was an unnecessary inconvenience.

I believe that the situation (with regard to asking for confirmation)
after the changes I implemented yesterday is better than the situation
before I implemented them and I also believe that it is good enough.

I believe that the introductory text for these buttons should tell
what they operate on, as I proposed yesterday.

Sincerely,

Luc.