Re: mh-e/mh-acros.el advices `require' incorrectly

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: mh-e/mh-acros.el advices `require' incorrectly
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:20:41 -0800

Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't understand 100% of the plan, but it looks like a good plan
> overall.

Thanks for the feedback.

>     2. Make mh-utils.el a pure "utility" package. I'm thinking chunks could
>        go into mh-xface.el and mh-scan.el (taking stuff from mh-e.el too).
>        We would then create files for each of the modes. We now already have
>        mh-search.el, so I'd propose mh-show.el and mh-folder.el, maybe
>        renaming mh-comp.el to mh-letter.el for consistency. Move
>        mh-modify to mh-funcs.el where it belongs.
>
>     6. Limit scope of variables to just the file in which it is defined.
>        If necessary, provide access to variables via functions that are
>        found in mh-loaddefs.el.
>
> I think these two are be necessary to solve the present problem, and
> could substantially increase the amount of change.  It might be better
> not to do these changes now.

Maybe. I'm investigating it right now since it seems that every day we
uncover a new problem associated with the current mess. It's extremely
brittle. The changes will either work or they won't. If they do, I think
it would actually add to the stability of the release to check in the
changes. I'll let you know how it goes.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD