address@hidden: HTTP redirects make url-retrieve-synchronously asynchron

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: HTTP redirects make url-retrieve-synchronously asynchronous]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:59:54 -0500

[I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]

Would someone please look at this, and then ack?

To: address@hidden
From: Mark Plaksin <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:18:46 -0500
Sender: address@hidden
        version=2.63

url-retrieve-synchronously becomes asynchronous when HTTP redirects are
involved.  When it encounters a redirect, url-http-parse-headers calls
url-retrieve instead of url-retrieve-synchronously.  Naively switching to
the latter doesn't solve the problem and I haven't been able to find a fix..

I encountered the problem in Gnus using nnrss.  I have an old URL for
Slashdot's RSS feed and was experimenting with setting mm-url-use-external
to nil.

To reproduce, evaluate this in *scratch*:
(mm-url-insert "http://slashdot.org/index.rss";)

You'll get this:
("http://slashdot.org/index.rss"; 316)
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>301 Moved Permanently</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot";>here</A>.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at slashdot.org Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

To make the problem go away, add a breakpoint before "(when redirect-uri"
in url-http.el.  Then re-run the test and wait a few seconds after hitting
the breakpoint.  Tell the debugger to continue and you will get the
expected contents of Slashdot's RSS feed instead of the redirect message
above.

I'll keep trying to find a way to fix this but maybe it's trivial for
somebody who already understands the URL library.