Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:28:08 -0500

On Jan 19, 2006, at 20:14, Richard M. Stallman wrote:
    Is this consistent across OSes?  E.g., Linux and *BSD or Solaris?

Linux is a kernel--not comparable to Solaris and *BSD.  If you mean
the entire system that is basically GNU with Linux added, please call
it GNU/Linux.

To call the GNU system "Linux" is unfair to the GNU Project (which
includes you, since you're helping develop a part of it).  See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.

Since hyperthreading seems to be a factor, actually, I was thinking of the kernel. Perhaps I should've said "*BSD kernels" and "Solaris kernels"...

(But async signals and hardware problems, as previously suggested, do sound like better candidates to investigate first, if the problem isn't easily reproduced by anyone else.)

Ken