Re: Q on minibuffer-message

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Q on minibuffer-message
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:50:44 +0100

As far as I can see it is a bug, at least in CVS Emacs. `minibuffer-message' uses temp_echo_area_glyphs in minibuf.c and that function calls

 Fsit_for (make_number (2), Qnil, Qnil);

which just sits for 2 seconds.

BTW `minibuffer-message' puts the string at the end of the current buffer which is not necessarily the minibuffer. Is not that a bug too?

--lennart

Drew Adams wrote:
I have a command `foo' that calls `minibuffer-message' at various points.

I want to call this function from another command, `bar', but I don't want
the `minibuffer-message' display to wait for two seconds - I even don't care
if it is displayed at all in this case.

I could change the definition of command `foo', to pass it a flag to not
call `minibuffer-message' (or to call it only when the command is called
interactively), but I'd rather not have to resort to that.

`minibuffer-message' displays its message for two seconds, unless an input
event is received during this time. My question is: How can I inhibit the
2-second wait? Is there, for example, some way I can simulate an input
event? Or is there a simpler, cleaner way?

In command `bar', just after calling `foo', I tried (sit-for 0), to no
avail. I tried adding a fake event (e.g. a character) to
`unread-command-events', to no avail. I tried binding
`minibuffer-message-timeout' (to nil and to 0), to no avail (it seemed to
have no effect).

Anyone have a suggestion?