Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:58:01 -0500

    Huh?  Where did you get this idea?  Events get processed as soon as we hit
    a QUIT or a UNBLOCK_INPUT, which is a lot more frequent than reading input.
    I've been using -DSYNC_INPUT without noticing any detrimental effect for
    more than year.

I apologize for my fallible memory--that is what I remembered.

I guess the real issue is this one with C-g.

    processing of C-g since we then processs signals with a "polling" model (if
    we get stuck in a loop with no QUIT and no BLOCK_INPUT we won't ever
    process the C-g.  It seems to be that even without SYNC_INPUT, under X11,
    a C-g is not process until we reach a QUIT, so the difference is not clear
    to me).

Many loops in Emacs use immediate_quit rather than QUIT.
If quitting out of them does not work, it is a serious problem.

One possible fix would be to get rid of immediate_quit, and use
QUIT in every loop.