Q on frame parameters *border-width

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Q on frame parameters *border-width
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:20:54 -0800

This is the total doc that I can find on these two frame parameters (from
the Elisp manual):

`border-width'
     The width in pixels of the window border.

`internal-border-width'
     The distance in pixels between text and border.

1. Wrt `border-width':

When I try this, I get an error, "Cannot change the border width of a
window":

 (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) '((border-width . 20)))

So, think I, perhaps you cannot change this parameter for an existing frame,
but perhaps you can set it for `default-frame-alist' and it will then affect
future frames. No such luck either.

Both the doc string and the error message speak of the "window" border, so I
guess this is a frame parameter that affects the border of each window in
the frame. Is that right? Just where is the window border? If not, if it is
about a frame border, then the doc string and error message should say
"frame", not "window".

What does this parameter do? Setting it doesn't seem to do anything, on
Windows XP at least (Emacs 20 or 22). Shouldn't the doc explain the
parameter a little more?

2. Wrt `internal-border-width':

The only difference in this parameter's name and that of the previous
parameter is "internal-". Does this mean that this too applies to Emacs
window borders (whatever they are) and not to frame borders?

Setting `internal-border-width' actually does change something, but it
appears to be the internal _frame_ border, not a border around each window.
If this parameter is about a frame border, but `border-width' is about
window borders, then shouldn't the parameter names indicate this difference?
And shouldn't the doc point out this difference?

The `internal-border-width' does not appear to be the distance between text
and border, if the border when fringe is present - in that case, it is the
distance between the fringe and the border.