Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dump-emacs doesn't fail even if Pure Lisp storage overflows
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:54:51 +0200

>    But when you then start Emacs you get the following difficult to miss
>    warning on your startup screen:
>
>       Warning Warning  Pure space overflow  Warning Warning
>
> I should have explicitly mentioned that you only see this warning if
> inhibit-splash-screen is nil (as it is by default).

I set inhibit-splash-screen to t in .emacs, so I didn't see this
warning.

> But when you then start Emacs you get the following difficult to miss
> warning on your startup screen:
>
>    Warning Warning  Pure space overflow  Warning Warning

Out of curiosity, I tried to set inhibit-splash-screen to nil, and I see
that this warning is still easy to miss even with
inhibit-splash-screen=nil: this warning is outside the main text area of
the splash screen and is not specially highlighted, e.g. in red.  Instead
of that, in red are only the line:

  GNU Emacs is one component of the GNU/Linux operating system

which attracts all attention.

> Showing it at startup should be sufficient for people to notice.
> They noticed it this time: the bug got reported on emacs-pretest-bug.

Showing this warning at startup is not sufficient for people who disable
the splash screen, so perhaps it should be displayed with `display-warning'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/