Re: A silly little request...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A silly little request...
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:21:11 +0100

Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden> writes:

>>DK> Could we have another autoloaded command from gud.el except just
>>DK> gud-tooltip-mode?  Any old command?
>
>>DK> The reason is that I frequently mistype
>>DK> M-x gnu RET
>>DK> (for starting gnus) and just type
>>DK> M-x gu RET
>>DK> which then calls gud-tooltip-mode with the current set of autoloads.
>>DK> I don't even know what it does.  If "gu" happened to have more than
>>DK> one completion, I would not inadvertantly call gud-tooltip-mode time
>>DK> and again.
>
>>DK> I realize that "preventing user stupidity" is not a pressing technical
>>DK> concern, but nevertheless I'd be glad if somebody came up with a good
>>DK> candidate command from gud.el that would be suitable for autoloading
>>DK> as well.
>
> You could define a dummy command starting with "gu" in your .emacs.

Of course I could.  I just think it a bad idea to fix stuff privately
that feels like it would be an annoyance to a number of other people.
And I think vast clunky .emacs files are the work of the devil.  They
proliferate and get passed on between people who don't know what they
are doing.  .emacs should really only mirror personal taste, not
common sense.  Common sense should be catered for by Emacs, not
.emacs.