Re: Documentation for car and cdr

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Documentation for car and cdr
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:45:14 +0000

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:30:21 -0700 Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>> Saying "car returns the car" and "cdr returns the cdr" doesn't sound
>> very useful for me if I would like to know what car and cdr do,
>> unless I knew what "car" and "cdr" mean (then I wouldn't check the
>> documentation). :-) Wouldn't it be better to write something like
>> "Return the first element of list" and "Return a list containing all
>> but the first element of list" for car and cdr, respectively?
>
> I don't think so, but I know Lisp.

Since english is not my native language, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but
I noticed a little irony in this sentence (if I'm wrong, I apologize in
advance).

What I wanted to suggest is something simple as mentioned in the
"An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp" document.

,----[
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/car---cdr.html ]
| The CDR of a list is the rest of the list, that is, the cdr function
| returns the part of the list that follows the first item.
`----

Again, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but it seems to me
that you think the suggestion is not adequate because it's too
simplistic (maybe wrong) and that's the reason of your sentence.

Best wishes,
Mario