address@hidden: recent CVS has aspell error]

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: recent CVS has aspell error]
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:31:27 -0500

Would someone please DTRT about this, and ack?

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:04:11 +0000
From: Chris Kuklewicz <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: recent CVS has aspell error
        version=2.63

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the address@hidden mailing
list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Short version : Emacs can no longer use spell checking

I have been using a CVS derived carbon build of emacs on OS X for some
time, and this new version has a bug running /usr/local/bin/aspell:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.4.0)
 of 2006-01-19 on Reason.local
X server distributor `Apple Computers', version 10.4.4
configured using `configure '--without-x' '--with-kerboros'
'--with-kerberos5' '--prefix=/usr/local''

I have been using this version of aspell for some time:

/usr/local/bin/aspell -v
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.2)

The error occurs when Emacs tries to start "ispell".  The *Messages*
buffer shows this when I call "ispell-buffer"

Starting new Ispell process...
Spell checking *scratch* using aspell with default dictionary...
Spell-checking using aspell with default dictionary done
ispell-get-line: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

The value for ispell-program-name is "/usr/local/bin/aspell", derived
from the default list expression:
(or
 (locate-file "aspell" exec-path exec-suffixes 'file-executable-p)
 "ispell")

This error prevents me from spell checking anything within Emacs.  This
is a show stopper for documents.

This error is independent of my ~/.emacs file (I moved it out of the way
and it had no effect). If my ~/.aspell.conf would be interesting, then I
could send it.  But I tried moving it out of the way and nothing improved.

I checked that this error is still present in CVS from now:
$ date
Sun Jan 22 23:00:31 GMT 2006

Looking as emacs/lisp/ChangeLog indicates that ispell and flyspell code
has been changed recently.  So I expect that this is mainly bad timing
on my part.

This error did not occur for my previous checkout(s) from CVS.  In
particular the next-most-recent which I have now reverted to is this
vintage:

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0)
 of 2005-07-30 on Reason.local
X server distributor `Apple Computers', version 10.4.4
configured using `configure '--without-x' '--prefix=/usr/local''

This older works flawlessly.  It finds /usr/local/bin/aspell and calls
it without a hitch.  I cannot see any difference in how Emacs is
configured between the old and new versions.

Cheers,
  Chris Kuklewicz