Re: address@hidden: recent CVS has aspell error]

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: address@hidden: recent CVS has aspell error]
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:51:56 -0800 (PST)

http://mail.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: address@hidden: recent CVS has aspell error] Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:14:15 +0000 User-agent: Thunderbird 1.5 (Macintosh/20051201)
Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>> Would someone please DTRT about this, and ack?
>
> This same error was reported and discussed recently on help-gnu-emacs; see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2005-12/msg00713.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2005-12/msg00759.html
>
> So it seems likely that ispell-dictionary has been set incorrectly,
> perhaps in default.el or site-start.el.
>
> What does `C-h v ispell-dictionary' display?

This variable is nil in the older working version of cvs-emacs

This variable does not exist in the newer broken version of cvs-emacs

> If you start emacs with
> the --no-init-file and --no-site-file command line options, does the
> problem still occur?

Yes, the problem is identical if I use those options.

I have read the email messages you pointed to and found a workaround:  If I run
the command ispell-change-dictionary and select one of the options (e.g.
american) then spell checking starts working.  This command creates
ispell-dictionary and sets it to nil and it creates the previous missing
ispell-local-dictionary and sets it to american.

This can be made permanent: Adding (setq ispell-dictionary "american") to my
~/.emacs causes ispell-dictionary to be set properly and it leaves
ispell-local-dictionary uncreated.  After performing ispell-buffer, I notice
ispell-local-dictionary has been created and set to nil.

Conclusion: It seems there is a problem in the latest cvs version where
ispell-dictionary is not being created by default (and set to nil) and this
prevents ispell from working for me.

--- End Message ---