Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:54:33 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Could you change it to generate thumbnail images according to the
>  > Thumbnail Managing Standard?
>
> I've not even heard of the Thumbnail Managing Standard.  Does it deal with
> transparency?  Or is it a tangential question?

>From what I remember the standard uses PNG files only, and as far as I
know, PNG supports

>  > I now have 4 (!) thumbnail directories that all share the same purpose:
>  >
>  > ~/.emacs-thumbs
>  > ~/.emacs.d/thumbs
>  > ~/.thumbnails
>  > ~/.tumme
>  >
>  > This is ridiculous.  Let's unify them all before the release.

I think it's fun! :)

Seriously, yes, it is kinda silly.

> Unifying them presupposes an understanding of the requirements.
> By all accounts both thumbs and tumme are immature, so I'm not sure that we're
> at that stage yet (I'm certainly not).

Before Richard allowed tumme.el into Emacs I tried to copy as many
features from thumbs.el as possible into tumme.el. Everything is not
there yet, but its on the todo-list.

Tumme and thumbs are in many ways very similar. They display
thumbnails of pictures, you can act on those thumbnails to do various
things (display, manipulate etc), they are somewhat integrated in
dired etc. Why do we need two packages for doing this? Of course, I
like tumme better, else I wouldn't have written it, but this isn't
some ego-thing, if someone thought that. I would be equally glad to
merge tumme stuff into thumbs and make that the main thumbnial/image
viewer, although for me that would be harder to do then the other way
around.

What I would like is much more input from a user's perspective, in
what areas tumme lacks compared to thumbs.

OK, I better stop now, don't want to start one of those long
threads...