Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:46:26 +0900

2006/1/27, Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
> > Tumme and thumbs are in many ways very similar. They display
> > thumbnails of pictures, you can act on those thumbnails to do various
> > things (display, manipulate etc), they are somewhat integrated in
> > dired etc. Why do we need two packages for doing this?
>
> We've covered this before: thumbs is simpler and best suited for basic tasks,
> tumme for more complex ones.

I've not seen much consensus on that point (indeed the consensus
_seemed_ to say that tumme will replace thumbs), but I must admit: I
couldn't figure out how to make tumme do anything remotely useful in
the 10 minutes I spent trying it out.  There are lots of provocatively
named commands -- tumme-dired, tumme-gallery-generate,
tumme-slideshow-start -- but they never seem to _do_ anything other
than rearrange my windows a bit or display cryptic messages.
Certainly I never saw an image show up.

I did get the impression that tumme is somewhat heavy-weight and modal
though, that many of the commands I tried _might_ have done something
if things (windows, buffers, files, etc) were setup properly.  Perhaps
it's simply a measure of tumme's immaturity that these commands didn't
make sure things were setup properly first, or at least display a
message to that effect.

Thumbs operation on the other hand is er, pretty obvious and
straight-forward, and it seems reasonably useful for what it does...
At the least, I got a buffer full of thumbnails with the first command
I tried.  I never did figure out how to make tumme do that.

-miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.