Re: ./make-dist for unicode branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ./make-dist for unicode branch
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:23:53 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:49:49 +0900
>
> > The problem is that a tarball created with "make-dist --snapshot" out
> > of a freshly checked-out CVS unicode-2 branch tree would not build
> > because the files lisp/international/charprop.el and
> > lisp/international/uni-*.el are generated by "make bootstrap" only if
> > there's the `admin' subdirectory.  (I asked why it looks for that
> > directory, but didn't see any answers.)
>
> Ah, sorry for forgetting to answer it.  The reason is that
> those files are generated from
> admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt.  This file is about 1M byte,
> so I thought it was too big to be included in a tarball.
> The total of generated uni-*.el is about 200K.

It's too early to discuss the packaging of Emacs 23, but I'd say
UnicodeData.txt _should_ be part of the tarball, because otherwise
users will not be able to regenerate those *.el files if they want
to change some of the characters' attributes.  800KB more is not going
to change anything in what is already a 80MB to 130MB source tree.

> I didn't know about admin/make-tarball.txt.  Now I agree
> that we don't have to put uni-*.el in CVS tree.  Perhaps, we
> should add a comment about the requirement of bootstrap at
> somewhere in make-dist.

Even better, perhaps make-dist should find some way to check whether a
bootstrap was done, and refuse to work if it wasn't.